The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In June 2022:
Most regular feedback:
- Staff shortages are still the biggest challenge – on average the industry’s operations are 25% understaffed.
- Hospitality employers are feeling targeted by Government, citing comments that contribute to the negative narrative of the industry.
- Trading conditions are still very uncertain – there are concerns about getting through Winter.
- Cost of living increases are being felt by the sector through customer behaviour changes.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- Met with MBIE to discuss initiatives in which the Association can support the Ministry’s temporary migrant worker exploitation activity.
- CEO, Marisa Bidois, as part of the Tāmaki Makaurau Regional Skills Leadership Group, contributed to the region’s Regional Workforce Plan.
- Met with representatives from the Commerce Commission to discuss impacts of the Retail Payments System Act for merchants in the hospitality industry.
- The RA made a submission on: Modern Slavery and Worker Exploitation and consulted with industry on Easter Sunday trading proposals.
- The 2022 Hospitality Industry Remuneration Survey was released, providing insights and benchmarks for wages and salaries in the hospitality industry.
- Supported the Your Work, Your Way campaign around the Fair Pay Agreements Bill.
- Held a hui with the CEO and senior team from Ringa Hora.
- Held the 2022 Hawke’s Bay Hospitality Awards, spotlighting outstanding individuals and businesses in the local hospitality industry. Also launched the Awards campaign for Bay, Manawatu and Otago Hospitality Awards.
- Promoted the industry through the #hospolife campaign, encouraging workers to ‘find their future’ in hospitality. hospolife.co.nz
- Ran Auckland Hospo Start programme to provide students with an introduction to hospitality, work experience and job placement.
- Provided supporting resources, reminding the industry of key strategies for managing Covid-19 and winter illnesses.