The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In February 2021:
Most regular feedback:
- Concern that wage subsidy eligibility criteria requires proof of a downturn compared to a historically quiet trading month.
- It takes weeks after a return to Level 1 for trade to pick up – impacts are far longer than the level change duration.
- Ongoing short-notice Level changes causing emotional and financial stress (and stock losses).
- Lack of timely response around financial assistance is leaving owners scrambling.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- Began consultation with members of the Restaurant Association
on key priorities outlined in the Future of Hospitality roadmap.
- Undertook consultation with industry and prepared a submission
on reduction of merchant fee rates prepared for MBIE.
- Held a hui with Minister for Food Safety Dr Ayesha Verrall to
discuss the industry needs and current challenges.
- Meet with Immigration New Zealand representatives to discuss
current industry feedback and challenges.
- Reviewed and created 6 new industry-specific resources to assist
the industry through re-emergence of Covid-19 in the community.