The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In April 2021:
Most regular feedback:
- Lack of staff at critical levels.
- Wage costs rising to unsustainable levels, rising in part due to skill shortages, also as a result of immigration pay bands pushing up rates.
- Concerns about potential Trans-Tasman effects; losing domestic travellers and staff heading to Australia.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- Met with Minister of Tourism where discussion points included border discussions, industry workforce challenges, proposed changes to alert level framework, our work and vision for the future.
- Hui held with government-appointed independent advisory group reviewing the government’s response to Covid-19.
- Compiled regional hospitality sales analysis for government at request of Minister of Tourism.
- Undertook consultation with industry and prepared a submission on managing bullying and harassment in the workplace, prepared for MBIE.
- Meet with industry stakeholders to discuss industry challenges and future needs – including, 90+ Auckland & Waikato hospitality operators, Unite Union, Migrant Workers Association and other key industry organisations.
- Created industry-specific vaccination in the workplace policy and guidance to assist the industry as vaccination programme rolls out.