The changes to the Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV) in New Zealand, effective from November 27, 2023, include an extension of the visa duration. Here’s a summary of the key points:
- Extended Visa Duration: The AEWV duration is now up to five years for individuals earning at least the median wage. For some care workforce employees, it’s extended to three years.
- Application for Extended Duration: Current AEWV holders eligible for the extended duration must apply to claim the balance of the longer visa. Their existing visas won’t automatically extend.
- Employer’s Role: If you have an eligible AEWV employee wishing to extend their stay, you need to support them in applying for the balance of the longer visa.
- Timing of Application: Immediate action is not required. It is advised that migrants wait until closer to their current AEWV’s expiration to apply, as applications are generally processed only nine months before the current AEWV expires.
- Checking Eligibility and Supporting Workers: Employers can visit the relevant website to check their eligibility to support their workers. If eligible, you won’t need to complete another Job Check. The website provides instructions on how to reuse an existing job token, enabling employers to send their employees a request to apply for a further AEWV to claim their visa length balance.