Latest news

Covid-19 reinfection and testing advisory

posted on

Data from the Ministry of Health (MOH) indicates that Covid-19 reinfections can occur less than 90 days of a previous infection. As such, MOH recently updated advisory in relation to re-infections.

The MOH advises that individuals should take a rapid antigen test (RAT) if they develop new Covid-19 symptoms where 29 days or more have passed since they previously contracted the virus. Previously, MOH advised that individuals do not need to re-test for Covid-19 if they tested positive for the virus in the past 90 days.

Individuals with symptoms should stay home and recover.

Testing is important as this will identify more Covid-19 infections and workers who are infected, or re-infected, will be required to self-isolate for seven days to reduce the spread of Covid-19 in the workplace and reduce passing it on to other workers.

Household contacts

  • Household contact isolation rules have not changed. Individuals can go to work if they have either contracted and recovered from Covid-19 in the past 90 days, or, if they have completed isolation as a household contact, in the last 10 days.
  • Individuals will only be required to self-isolate if they are symptomatic.  

Paying employees during self-isolation

  • With regards to paying staff who are self-isolating, they may use their sick leave entitlements during this time. If staff are not entitled to sick leave, employers are encouraged to offer paid special leave or sick leave in advance. Employers may agree to take annual leave, but this must be arranged by mutual agreement.
  • Employers can apply for the Covid-19 Leave Support Scheme which remains available to help employers pay their employees who are unable to work during self-isolation.
  • The Restaurant Association has prepared letters regarding payment options for self-isolating employees, and we encourage members to contact us for these letters to ensure all arrangements are mutually agreed and employees have given consent for employers to apply for any government supported Covid-19 leave payment on their behalf.
Back to News