The shape of the hospitality industry may change forever as a result of the events of 2020. Now, the single most important issue is the sector’s recovery and while it will be no easy job, the Restaurant Association is laser-focused on assisting the industry to become stronger and more resilient.
The Restaurant Association has developed The Future of Hospitality Roadmap – an industry-led framework to support the revival and replenishment of our sector.
Our vision: a hospitality sector fit for the future.
The first of it’s kind in Aotearoa, this roadmap sets out how we propose to not only attract more Kiwis to hospitality as a career but also pave the way for the sector to be seen as a national leader – a vital ingredient in nationwide tourism that continues to provide a growth story for the economy.
The 4 goals of The Future of Hospitality Roadmap are:
- Create workable solutions for legacy issues faced by the industry
- Encourage better partnership between industry and Government
- Support the development of fit for purpose, adequately funded education and training options that produce ready-to-work, productive, career focused workers
- Bring out the best in our sector
The Roadmap identifies the following challenges our industry is facing:
- A fragmented hospitality sector
- A lack of joined-up Government leadership
- Variable business acumen
- Poor skills pipeline and a lack of skilled local workers
- Complicated regulatory landscape
- Poor national narrative
Who we are talking and collaborating with:
We are engaging with key industry stakeholders, seeking input and collaboration. Some of the Roadmap’s supporters include:
What stage are we at:
- Stage One – Reopening
Stage one of the Roadmap focuses on reopening and sets out the immediate steps needed to support the full reopening of the sector over the short-term, in line with broader COVID-19 pandemic developments. The Restaurant Association has put before government eight practical solutions to get businesses back on their feet.
- Wage subsidy Level 2
- Food waste minimisation subsidy
- Reopening payment
- Lockout subsidy (version 1)
- Lockout subsidy (version 2)
- DineOut Help Out
- Discover NZ
- Eat GST-free