The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In May 2021:
Most regular feedback:
- Industry is at a crisis point as the skills shortage boils over.
- Exhaustion – employers report feeling run down and tired. Exacerbated by staffing challenges, working weeks of 80-100 hours being reported.
- Concern about remaining viable with rising labour and compliance costs.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- Presented to the Economic Development, Science and Innovation Committee at Parliament, advocating for targeted support in follow up to the Dine out to Help out petition (petition date: August 2020).
- Wrote to Minister of Immigration to raise concerns about the government’s ‘immigration reset’ and to request a meeting.
- Hui held with Minister for the New Zealand Workplace Relations and Safety to discuss industry challenges and present the Future of Hospitality Roadmap.
- Developed nationwide campaign to address discuss industry skill shortages.
- Organised for Auckland membership group to meet with Labour MP, Helen White, to discuss current industry challenges / solutions.
- Held hui with Immigration New Zealand to discuss the new Accredited Employer Work Visa and accreditation requirements.
- Continued engagement with industry stakeholders on the Future of Hospitality Roadmap, where we have been meeting, receiving feedback on the Future of Hospitality Roadmap plan.