The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In March 2021:
Most regular feedback:
- Business owners focused on preparing for a return of international tourists
- Lack of staff creating strain on business; concerns when customer levels increase.
- For some, minimum wage increases are unmanageable, raising wage costs when revenue is reduced.
- Mental health and wellbeing crisis – staff and business owners need help.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- Raised concerns with Minister for Covid-19 Response to urgently review requirements for the hospitality industry in current alert level framework. Provided alternative framework model.
- Organised hui with government-appointed Chair of independent advisory group reviewing the government’s response to Covid-19.
- Provided additional information to government on #DineOutHelpOut petition. Organised to formally present additional feedback on the initiative.
- Corresponded with Minister for Food Safety regarding ongoing collaborative approach to working with New Zealand Food Safety.
- Undertook consultation with industry and prepared a submission in response to advice proposing to ban new gas connections from 2025, prepared for the Climate Change Commission.
- Held separate meetings with the leader of National party and National MP for Rotorua to discuss industry challenges.
- Reviewed and created 6 new industry-specific resources to assist the industry.