The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In June 2021:
Most regular feedback:
- The industry is at a crisis point as the skills shortage boils over.
- Managing rising costs becoming challenging, particularly rising payroll costs primarily driven by staff shortages.
- Alert level changes make customers wary about dining out impact not isolated to the affected region.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- Launched collective industry action – The Reset – a nationwide campaign, to address industry skill shortages.
- Created petition urging the Government to acknowledge the skill shortage in hospitality in New Zealand, and introduce workable immigration solutions by engaging with the sector.
- Wrote to Minister of Immigration and Prime Minister regarding Reset campaign and key asks of Government.
- Attended huis to discuss Wellington’s Golden Mile proposals and provided feedback on proposals.
- Wrote joint letter to Wellington City Council re CBD parking changes.
- Provided feedback to Immigration New Zealand on proposals around Accredited Employer Work Visa accreditation requirements.
- Continued engagement with industry stakeholders on the Future of Hospitality Roadmap, where we have been meeting, receiving feedback on the Roadmap plan.
- Ran Auckland HospoStart programme, providing training, work experience and placement for 25 people looking to enter hospo.
- Ran nation-wide Springboard training programme for employees from 60 establishments, providing wrap-around training support aimed at staff retention and skill building.