The Hospitality Dashboard is a monthly snapshot of the industry, covering key data, initiatives led by the industry over the month, member commentary, future considerations and the common pain points.
In August 2021:
Most regular feedback:
- Auckland businesses are most vulnerable in NZ’s Covid strategy – compensation needs to be equitable.
- Clarity around likely time frames at different Alert Levels needed – rolling 3-4 day reviews more stressful than forward warning.
- Businesses want resurgence support extended – it’s not enough support in extended lockdown situations.
- Rent negotiations remain challenging.
Actions led by the industry this month:
- As a result of the August Level 4 lockdown, the Association led calls to Government regarding the need for more targeted economic support for affected businesses.
- Engaged with the Minister of Finance regarding the need for support and proposing alternative schemes.
- Supported the Auckland Chamber of Commerce petition calling for more support through this Level 4 lockdown and beyond.
- Collaborated on a proposal (along with other organisations) advocating for rent relief for small businesses.
- Engaged with the Minister for Commerce & Consumer Affairs and the Opposition Spokesperson for Economic Development & Small Business – re concerns about anomalies across Alert Level Guidance.
- Consulted with industry and provided feedback on proposed new policy around mandatory record keeping, QR codes and mask use.
- Met with MBIE through the regional leadership group to address the industry’s skills shortage.
- Provided updated guidance for the industry on operating requirements at Level 3.