The Government have announced a slight easing of restrictions for Waikato and Auckland, from Level 3, Step 3, moving to Step 2.
- Waikato will move to Step 2 from 11:59pm 2nd November.
- Auckland will move to Step 2 from 11.59pm 9th November, subject to public health advice. This will be reviewed by Cabinet on 8 November.
What does this mean for hospitality? Although this is a move towards the right direction, unfortunately, Step 2 doesn’t have a positive impact on hospitality as it is not until Step 3 that our businesses are able to reopen (to up to 50 people). We’ve argued that Step 2 should allow outdoor dining for hospitality, which would enable some opportunity for additional revenue for our businesses while maintaining the health and safety of staff and customers by keeping the operation to outside dining for the time being. We will continue to pursue this change.
Alert level 3, Step 2 means that:
- Outdoor gathering numbers will increase to 25, with the two-household restriction removed.
- People should wear masks and physical distancing between household bubbles is strongly encouraged.
- Retail and public facilities like museums can re-open, with customers required to wear a face-covering, scan-in and keep 2 metres physical distance from people outside their household bubble.