Auckland Lewisham Awards
The Auckland hospitality industry has acknowledged the outstanding abilities of their own with the announcement of the winners of the 14th annual Lewisham Awards. With the event sold out for this year this was a real tribute to the calibre of the finalists and the high regard in which the industry places on them.
The Lewisham Awards (named after Richard Lewisham, who was a pioneer of the Auckland hospitality scene) were established in 2002 with the main objective to encourage excellence in the city’s hospitality community. With this in mind, the best in the business are nominated and honoured by their peers once a year followed by an after party to celebrate this success.
This year contained some notable changes – a new venue at The Langham, a new category in the awards “Outstanding Street Food” to recognise the exciting area of both gourmet “fast and mobile” food and a record number of nominations.
This dynamic and ever changing industry was highlighted by the finalists and winners coming from a mix of both new and well established businesses showing that hospitality in Auckland remains in excellent heart.
Some categories such as Outstanding Chef and Outstanding Maitre d were once again tightly fought with the final results incredibly close, showing the depth of talent that we have in Auckland in our food and beverage offerings.
All the category winners are listed below however, there were some notable cross overs from the recent Metro award winners which certainly showcases the consistently high level that these businesses and individuals achieve.
Apero in K Road was once again a favourite with a Lewisham for Best Wine List and Ismo receiving the nod for Best Maitre D, Saan in Ponsonby received the Best New Venue to go alongside it’s Metro award for Best New Restaurant and Depot was also awarded the Lewisham for Best Established Venue after winning the best inner city bistro at the Metro awards. And to add to his ever growing list of accolades Sid Sahrawat from Cassia (Metro Restaurant of the Year) and Sidart (5 spoons in the Metro Awards) received the Lewisham for Restaurateur of the Year.
So what are you waiting for – those in the know in hospitality have crowned these people and venues the best of the best – must be time to go and check them out yourselves!!
2016 Lewisham Awards Winners:
- Fine Food NZ Outstanding Caterer – Mint Kitchen Catering
- Menumate Outstanding New Venue – saan
- ResDiary Outstanding Local – Conch Bar & Kitchen
- Angostura Outstanding Bartender – Joey Lai (saan)
- Bidvest Outstanding Street Food – The Lucky Taco
- Spark Business Outstanding Supplier – Red & White Cellar
- Aotearoa Fisheries Emerging Talent – Shaaz Croft (The Blue Breeze Inn)
- EuroVintage Outstanding Wine List – Apero Food & Wine
- L’affare Outstanding Coffee Establishment/Barista – Kokako Café
- Beam Suntory Outstanding Bar – Xuxu Dumpling Bar
- OneMusic Outstanding Establishment – Depot
- Negociants Outstanding Wine Service Professional – Andy Gladding (The French Café)
- Crombie Lockwood Outstanding Waiter – Vicky Pethybridge (Prego)
- Restaurant Association of NZ Outstanding Sales Rep – Ben Longhurst (EuroVintage)
- General Digital Outstanding Maitre d – Ismo Koski (Apero Food & Wine)
- Gilmours Outstanding Chef – Ben Bayly (The Grove Restaurant)
- Pernod Ricard Outstanding Restaurateur – Sid Sahrawat (Sidart)
- Moet Hennessy Outstanding Hospitality Personality – Damaris Coulter (Coco’s Cantina)
More details on the Lewisham Awards can be found at www.lewishamawards.co.nz.